Crane Migration EdVenture: Sandhill and Whooping Cranes in Nebraska
Join us for the Crane Migration EdVenture in Nebraska!
The Minnesota Zoo and the Crane Trust are excited to invite you on an ancient flight of discovery. National Geographic has called it one of the greatest wildlife phenomena in North America. Nearly 1 million Sandhill Cranes come, as they have for thousands of years, to this incomparable stretch of the Platte River to rest, feed, and gather in astonishing numbers before pushing on to their breeding grounds in the north. Now, as never before, you can experience the wonder of North America’s great Sandhill Crane migration on rare Crane Trust lands in south central Nebraska.
You’ll spend three days and two nights watching the cranes from unique viewing blinds, learning from naturalists and biologists, and viewing the local bison herd. Hiking and other activities possible depending on weather and availability. You’ll will also enjoy delicious meals, stargaze from the ranch’s outdoor deck, and stay in comfortable cabins on Crane Trust property. This is a must-do trip for birders, photographers, and anyone interested in a new education of prairie ecosystems.
The EdVenture includes:
- Ground transportation during the EdVenture*
- Accommodations in the Crane Trust’s Wild Rose Ranch Legacy Cottages with comfortable private bedrooms, a private bathroom for each bedroom, commons area, and patio
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages on the safari from arrival to departure
- Wine and beer during your welcome orientation, evening meals, and social hours
- Fresh fruit and snacks in the cottage for the duration of the EdVenture
- 3 days/2 nights at the Crane Trust’s Wild Rose Ranch
- Guided crane viewing in the Crane Trust’s premier VIP Pietrok Family blinds in the evenings and mornings
- Guided Crane Trust habitat/property tour
*Transportation: You are responsible for your own transportation and meals between your point of origin and Grand Island. Please arrive at 3:30pm at the Crane Trust Nature & Visitor Center in Grand Island, Nebraska where you will be greeted and escorted to the Crane Trust’s Wild Rose Ranch. The EdVenture will conclude around noon on the 11th.
Note: Due to weather, migration patterns, and other unforeseen circumstances, the cranes may not be visible. If severe weather or other extreme circumstances arise, the Crane Trust may cancel the trip. Otherwise, all efforts will be made to provide reasonable substitutions during the EdVenture.
Date: March 9-11, 2023
Age: Adults age 18+
Cost: $1,175 per person; rooms are double occupancy. Single room supplement available for an additional $1,175 based on request.
Solo Travelers: Please email [email protected] to let us know if you plan to pay for your own private room or if you’d rather be placed on a roommate list and we will hold a room for you. When another solo traveler requests a roommate, we will contact you to register. However, if another solo traveler is unavailable, you will have to pay for the whole room if you still want to join us.
Registration Deadline: December 1st, 2022
Activity level: Easy | MODERATE | Challenging | Difficult
- Able to walk a quarter mile over grassy, uneven terrain in seven-ten minutes
- Carry your own gear
If you have any questions about accessibility, please contact [email protected]
13000 Zoo Boulevard
Apple Valley, MN 55124
Subscribe to our Newsletter