The Minnesota Zoo employs about 220 full-time, part-time, and intermittent staff. That number grows to between 270 and 300 with the addition of temporary staff during the spring and summer months.
The Minnesota Zoo employs people from a wide variety of backgrounds. In addition to typical “zoo jobs” such as veterinary technicians, interpretive naturalists, zookeepers, zoologists, and veterinarians, the business end of the Zoo requires people with many different skills, from accountants and marketing staff, to carpenters and guest services staff.
The Minnesota Zoo is a state agency and its employees are public employees, with salary and benefits set by union contracts and compensation plans.
Over the course of a year, the Zoo receives over two thousand applications for employment. All of our positions are highly competitive with a majority of positions requiring related experience and education.
Although we have positions open from time to time during the year, our largest recruitment period begins in March and lasts through mid-May, when we begin filling our summer positions.
Our open positions are listed below and can change on a daily basis. Applying for our positions is easy. If you are interested in a position and feel you meet the qualifications listed, simply click on the link within the posting. That link will take you to the State of Minnesota’s resume database where applicants can submit resumes for positions open for all state agencies, including the Minnesota Zoo.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
This information can be made available in alternative formats to individuals with disability by calling (651) 259-3637 or (651) 282-2699 (TTY). For more information please read the State of Minnesota Affirmative Action Plan.
If you wish to apply with a paper copy, submit your resume AND a completed State of Minnesota Employment Application form to: Minnesota Management Budget (MMB), 400 Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street, St. Paul, MN 55155. Be sure to indicate the posting number of this job on your application. The paper application is available on the State Employment Web and MMB web sites, at any state agency HR office, or by calling 651-259-3637.
Unique Minnesota GreenCorps AmeriCorps Service Opportunity Available at the MN Zoo!
The MN Zoo is excited to announce that it will host a Minnesota GreenCorps AmeriCorps Service Member from September 28, 2019 through August 18, 2020!
Minnesota GreenCorps is a statewide AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, with a mission to preserve and protect Minnesota’s environment and strengthen Communities.
The goal of the MN Zoo’s GreenCorps service project is to develop and provide training programs that prepare Zoo interpretive staff and volunteers to deliver education promoting the Zoo’s sustainability practices. To achieve this goal, the GreenCorps service member will:
- Gather and review information about the Zoo’s green infrastructure, water management, and waste reduction/recycling/organics management initiatives
- Review plans and reports, and prepare of summary of implemented sustainable initiatives.
- Identify 2-4 initiatives to feature in interpretive programs.
- Develop a training curriculum map and objective-based training plans, write training curriculum, and develop training resources.
- Collaborate with and train key staff and volunteers to deliver interpretive presentations to Zoo staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Gather data to evaluate the interpretive programs and implement training curriculum improvements as needed
For more information about the GreenCorps program, visit the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency webpage.
Access the application form by clicking State of Minnesota Job ID 32246.
- For more information about a job opening, go to www.mn.gov/careers or to Self Service if you are a current State of Minnesota employee.
- On the Job Search page enter the Job Opening ID number in the Keywords search box and click Search.
- Click on the Job Title to view the job posting.
- If interested, click Apply.
Summer Employment Opportunities
None at this time.
Minnesota Zoo Foundation Employment Opportunities
None at this time.