The Minnesota Zoo employs about 220 full-time, part-time, and intermittent staff. That number grows to between 270 and 300 with the addition of temporary staff during the spring and summer months.
The Minnesota Zoo employs people from a wide variety of backgrounds. In addition to typical “zoo jobs” such as veterinary technicians, interpretive naturalists, zookeepers, zoologists, and veterinarians, the business end of the Zoo requires people with many different skills, from accountants and marketing staff, to carpenters and guest services staff.
The Minnesota Zoo is a state agency and its employees are public employees, with salary and benefits set by union contracts and compensation plans.
Over the course of a year, the Zoo receives over two thousand applications for employment. All of our positions are highly competitive with a majority of positions requiring related experience and education.
Although we have positions open from time to time during the year, our largest recruitment period begins in March and lasts through mid-May, when we begin filling our summer positions.
Our open positions are listed below and can change on a daily basis. Applying for our positions is easy. If you are interested in a position and feel you meet the qualifications listed, simply click on the link within the posting. That link will take you to the State of Minnesota’s resume database where applicants can submit resumes for positions open for all state agencies, including the Minnesota Zoo.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
This information can be made available in alternative formats to individuals with disability by calling (651) 259-3637 or (651) 282-2699 (TTY).
If you wish to apply with a paper copy, submit your resume AND a completed State of Minnesota Employment Application form to: Minnesota Management Budget (MMB), 400 Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street, St. Paul, MN 55155. Be sure to indicate the posting number of this job on your application. The paper application is available on the State Employment Web and MMB web sites, at any state agency HR office, or by calling 651-259-3637.
None at this time
Summer Employment Opportunities
This posting expires May 1, 2015
Hours of work are up to 8 hrs/day, Monday through Friday for a total of approximately 40 hours weekly. Expected employment to begin in May of 2015 and end date approximately Labor Day, 2015. Hourly wage: $14.53.
WORK ASSIGNMENT: This position is responsible for providing horticultural care to the grounds of the Minnesota Zoo.
This position will work with the Horticultural staff, indoors and out, through the summer. The position will report to the Horticulture Supervisor or the Horticulturist.
Duties to include:
1. Watering, grooming, cultivating, debris removal, pruning and planting and mowing.
- Application of fertilizers and other chemicals under the direction of staff.
- Observation of the grounds and reporting to staff.
- Interaction with many Zoo visitors.
– be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
– be team-oriented and able to work individually
– be able to accomplish the following frequent physical activities: work on or walk/stand on uneven surfaces, wet surfaces, stoop, crawl, kneel, stand, climb, bend, grasp, squeeze, push, pull, reach, carry while walking, move quickly and/or run, work in hot or cold, wet or dry conditions, in inclement weather as assigned. This job may require strenuous manual labor including but not limited to digging, shoveling, hauling, and working on rough terrain.
All interested and qualified employees should submit a resume, cover letter and professional references to: email@example.com with a subject line: Temporary Groundskeeper
**Job is contingent on a valid D driver’s license and background check**
Minnesota Zoo Foundation Employment Opportunities
None at this time