The Animal Health Department at the Minnesota Zoo is responsible for the care and management of all animals in its collection. As a vet tech intern, you will have hands-on experience with mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates.
The vet tech intern works with a team of two certified veterinary technicians and three veterinarians along with any number of additional animal care staff, and medical procedures will be performed indoors and outdoors.
Applicants MUST be enrolled as a veterinary technician student in an accredited veterinary technician program and receiving credit for this internship. They should have some previous animal care and/or veterinary assistant experience, and they should be working towards a career in the zoological veterinary field.
In addition, candidates MUST
- Be willing to work outdoors and in inclement weather conditions
- Already have completed a surgery/anesthesia class
Candidates should be planning on a wildlife, zoo or exotic animal career path.
This internship is best suited to individuals who are:
- Motivated self-starters
- Quick thinkers
Vet Tech Internship Working Conditions:
- 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 40 hours/week for 12 weeks
- Tuesdays through Saturdays
- Animal Health staff work behind-the-scenes throughout the Zoo and in the Animal Health building.
- Activity Level:
- Medium to high levels of physical activity required, including extensive walking indoors on uneven ground, bending and crouching to manage equipment and animals undergoing procedures/treatments, standing to observe animal treatments and/or perform lab work. The intern also will spend some time seated at a desk maintaining records.