Are you interested in learning more about how informal education organizations like the Zoo support K-12 education? Do you want to gain experience in STEM curriculum and program development, informal science teaching, or environmental education? If so, then a School Programs internship at the Minnesota Zoo may be for you!
The Minnesota Zoo is the largest environmental education learning facility in the state. We offer a variety of classroom experiences for children and adults. We would love to have you join our team!
Responsibilities for the Summer School Programs Internship include assisting with curriculum preparation for K-12 school programs, preparation for STEM summer teacher workshops, and research and development of teen programs at the Zoo. Interns will work approximately 400 hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The start and end dates are flexible depending on your college/university calendar. College credit required.
Deadline: March 10, 2016
Duties to Include:
- Assist with development and preparation of curriculum for K-12 programs
- Enhance teaching and public speaking skills
- Present programs for zoo program participants
- Work with Zoo staff and K-12 teachers during summer teacher workshops
- Research and make recommendations for teen volunteer program expansion
You will also get to experience the Zoo behind-the-scenes, interact with a wide variety of zoo staff, and learn about our diverse animal collection!
Please go to mnzoo.org/internships to download the internship application form. In addition to the required materials noted on the Internship Application Form, please include the following with your application:
- Cover letter that answers the following questions:
- What are your career goals, and how would this internship help you achieve them?
- What do you hope to gain from this internship?
- What talent/skills will you bring to the Education department?
- What kind of coursework and/or experience do you have that would make you a valuable Minnesota Zoo intern?
- A one page description of a fun educational activity/lesson plan to do with kids at the Zoo
- Letter of recommendation from an advisor or supervisor
For more information, please contact: Internship Coordinator, Human Resources 13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124 E-mail: Human.firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 952.431.9211
All application materials should be sent to the Internship Coordinator by email at Human.Resources .email@example.com