The Northern Trail Department oversees the daily management and care of the entire Zoo’s outside large mammals, with a collection of about 100 mammals representing over 20 different species. Northern Trail includes the new area, Russia’s Grizzly Coast. Species included in this area are brown bears, Amur leopards and wild boar.
Approximately 10-12 weeks.College credit required.
Responsibilities for the Northern Trail Department Internship include cleaning, husbandry, diet preparation, feeding, and monitoring of animals that are exhibited on the trail. Work hours are 40 hours per week, shift times may vary.
Duties to include:
- Daily cleaning and raking of exhibits, holding areas, and glass
- Learn identification of all animals in the section and their daily needs
- Monitor animals daily for health and breeding behaviors
- Learn about enrichment and creation of enrichment devices
- Assist in the care and hand rearing of neonatal hoof stock
- Assist in animal health procedures as needed
- Interact with guests and volunteers when working in the public areas
- Maintain accurate records
- Daily diet preparation and feeding of the animals in the collection
- Assist in developing and implementing a conservation message or project
- Assist with reference work or additional tasks as needed
For more information, please contact: Internship Coordinator, Human Resources 13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124 E-mail: Human.firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 952.431.9211 or
All application materials should be sent to the Internship Coordinator by email at Human.Resources .email@example.com