The Minnesota Zoo Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that supports the Minnesota Zoo’s mission to connect people, animals, and the natural world to save wildlife. The Foundation conducts all major fund-raising activities for the Zoo and is actively engaged in creating meaningful ways for donors to connect with the Zoo.
The Foundation is seeking an intern who will serve as a generalist who will assist the Foundation in areas of research, strategy development, administration, communications, and other tasks as assigned. The internship will provide experience in and exposure to nonprofit fund raising and management, grant writing, researching donor prospects, solicitation strategies, and gaining valuable office experience in the nonprofit world.
The position requires a commitment of up to 20 hours per week, for between 10-14 weeks. The schedule is flexible. Hours will be Monday – Friday although it is possible that some evening and weekend work may be required. Start and end dates are flexible, but usually run from May – September. Interns are expected to have FUN while they learn.
General Development Intern
- Assist Foundation staff with fundraising efforts, including conducting research, writing and editing
- Assist with fundraising event planning and execution
- Research emerging fundraising trends and summarize best practices
- Develop special project fundraising plan based on research
- Provide administrative support
- Help organize and maintain records
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Two to three years of college experience
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Interest in learning more about a fundraising career in the nonprofit sector
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Familiarity and experience with social media outlets
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with diverse Zoo audiences
- Able to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Self-starting approach
Preferred majors: Marketing and Communications, English
Please apply by email to Tyler Steer: Tyler.Steer@mnzoo.org.
To be considered for an interview, please include:
Cover Letter and resume/CV
One letter of recommendation
For more information, please contact: Tyler Steer, Tyler.Steer@mnzoo.org. No telephone calls please.