We are still accepting applications for the Butterfly Garden.
The Aveda Butterfly Garden is an outdoor 3,000 square foot immersion butterfly hoop house that is heavily planted with annual and perennial flowers and stocked with farm-raised North American native and migrant tropical butterflies. It is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Father’s Day weekend through Labor Day, weather permitting. It is free with Zoo admission and is located on the Tropics Trail.
Approximately 400 hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day (start and end dates somewhat flexible). College credit required.
Responsibilities for the Entomologist Internship include care and monitoring of butterflies and moths that are contained in the butterfly hoop house, interacting with visitors throughout an eight-hour day, and providing interpretive information about the hoop house exhibit as well as general information about the Zoo.
Duties to include:
- Daily maintenance of insect collection and butterfly hoop house
- Interact with Zoo guests while supervising the Butterfly Garden
- Provide interpretive information to Zoo volunteers and guests
- Monitor the garden area to prevent damage, butterfly/moth escapees, pest problems, etc.
- Accurate record keeping
- Assist in developing and implementing a conservation message or project
- Reply to pertinent correspondence
- Assist with reference work or additional tasks as needed
- Provide daily care of caterpillars
- Inspect butterfly pupa shipments and hang pupa in emersion boxes
For more information, please contact: Internship Coordinator, Human Resources 13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124 E-mail: Human.firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 952.431.9211 or
All application materials should be sent to the Internship Coordinator by email at Human.Resources .email@example.com