The Bird Department oversees the daily management and care of all the Zoo’s exhibit birds, with a collection of about 300 birds representing about 66 different species. Although the Bird Department oversees all of the Zoo’s exhibit birds, the majority are located in the Zoo’s three acre indoor Tropics Trail.
Year-round Internship Opportunities:
Starting and ending dates are flexible. The internship would involve 40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Scheduled hours are 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. College credit is required.
Responsibilities for the Bird Department Internship include cleaning, husbandry, diet preparation, feeding and monitoring of birds that are exhibited throughout the Zoo. Work hours are 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm daily.
- Daily maintenance of bird exhibits.
- Learn identification of all birds in the collection and their daily needs.
- Monitor birds daily for health and breeding behaviors.
- Learn incubation techniques.
- Assist in the care of newly hatched chicks as needed.
- Assist in animal health procedures as needed.
- Interact with guests and volunteers when working in the public areas.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Daily diet preparation and feeding of the birds in the collection.
- Assist in developing and implementing a conservation message or project.
- Enter bird records into the computer.
- Assist with reference work or additional tasks as needed.
For more information, please contact: Internship Coordinator, Human Resources 13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124 E-mail: Human.firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 952.431.9211 or
All application materials should be sent to the Internship Coordinator by email at Human.Resources .email@example.com