The Minnesota Zoo strives to maintain the highest standards of animal welfare/well-being, such that the biological, behavioral and social needs of the individual animal are met. This is achieved, in part, through behavior management (animal enrichment and training). Behavior management aims to draw out animals’ natural behaviors and abilities with stimulating environments that provide the animals with behavioral choices and encourage them to explore and interact with their surroundings. Behavior management begins at exhibit planning and continues with the day to day animal care provided by keepers.
Year-round Internship Opportunities:
This internship involves approximately 32-40 hours/week for 10-14 weeks. Behavior Management Interns typically work 8-10 hours/day, 4-5 days per week. College credit required. Schedules are flexible.
Responsibilities for the Behavior Management Internship include conducting behavioral observations, recording and entering behavioral/enrichment data, working on enrichment initiatives for the animals, as well as interacting with zoo guests and providing interpretive information throughout the Zoo.
Duties to include:
- Learn about animal enrichment and husbandry training in zoos & aquariums.
- Research the natural history of the Zoo’s animals for behavior management goal planning.
- Learn and practice methods of observation.
- Conduct daily behavioral observations.
- Develop and evaluate a new enrichment initiative and/or behavior study as an independent study project.
- Assist the Enrichment Coordinator with enrichment documentation recordkeeping.
- Assist the Enrichment Coordinator with enrichment and training meetings/workshops.
- Make animal enrichment items for use in daily enrichment and special events.
- Provide interpretation to Zoo guests about natural history of animals and behavior management.
For more information, please contact: Internship Coordinator, Human Resources 13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124 E-mail: Human.email@example.com Fax: 952.431.9211 or
All application materials should be sent to the Internship Coordinator by email at Human.Resources .firstname.lastname@example.org