The Australian crew oversees the daily management and care of a temporary summer exhibit (Kangaroo Crossing) with a collection of three species of Australian animals. Kangaroos, Wallabies, and Emus will roam a five acre enclosure that is also open to visitors. Cleaning pens, monitoring animal behavior, visitor oversight, animal enrichment, and interpretive demonstrations will be a part of the daily routine.
Approximately 10-12 weeks. College credit required.
Responsibilities for the Australian Internship include cleaning, husbandry, diet preparation, feeding, and monitoring of animals that are exhibited on the trail. Daily enrichment and demonstrations will also be given. Work hours are 40 hours per week, shift times may vary. This internship will involve long periods of guest interaction in an outdoor setting.
Duties to include:
- Daily cleaning and raking of exhibits, holding areas
- Learn identification of all animals in the section and their daily needs
- Monitor animals daily for health and breeding behaviors
- Learn about enrichment and public demonstrations
- Assist in animal health procedures as needed
- Interact with guests and volunteers when working in the public areas
- Maintain accurate records
- Daily diet preparation and feeding of the animals in the collection
- Assist with reference work or additional tasks as needed
For more information, please contact: Internship Coordinator, Human Resources 13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124 E-mail: Human.email@example.com Fax: 952.431.9211 or
All application materials should be sent to the Internship Coordinator by email at Human.Resources .firstname.lastname@example.org