Hole up with a Black-tailed Prairie Dog Today!
The Minnesota Zoo’s Northern Trail is home to a coterie of black-tailed prairie dogs. These social animals have a complex communication system and dig more elaborate burrows than any other rodent. Prairie dogs help keep prairie ecosystems healthy by aerating the soil and moving new soil to the surface.
Loss of prairie habitat to agriculture and other human encroachment has caused a drastic decline in the numbers of prairie dogs. This population decline has had a devastating effect on the North American black-footed ferret, which preys almost totally on prairie dogs and lives in their abandoned burrows. Unable to adapt to a different lifestyle, the black-footed ferret has become North America’s most endangered mammal.
Your gift will help us provide the best possible care for our prairie dogs and for all of the animals at the Minnesota Zoo, while also continuing our conservation efforts both here at home and around the world.
Your $55 sponsorship includes:
- TWO 3” plush prairie dogs OR Peeking Prairie Dogs by Christine Zuchora-Walske. Written for ages 5-7 but with adorable color photographs and interesting facts that will be appreciated by all ages, this nonfiction book is a great introduction for young naturalists and animal lovers. (You will be sent the plush unless you indicate otherwise).
- An animal sponsorship certificate.
- A prairie dog trading card with a photo and fun facts.
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference at the Minnesota Zoo!
Your $100 sponsorship also includes:
- Animal Homes by Judy Allen and Simon Mendez.
Your $250 sponsorship also includes:
- An invitation to meet with a Zookeeper (approximately 15 minutes, during normal Zoo hours).
If you have additional questions, please call 952.431.9216 or 1.800.366.7811 ext.216
Or email Shannon at Shannon.Rhatigan@mnzoo.org