Give a Beary Great Gift – Sponsor a Brown Bear Today!
The Minnesota Zoo is home to three orphaned brown bears, Sadie, Haines, and Kenai, who came to the Zoo from Alaska in April 2008.
Brown bears are awesome animals, capable of weighing up to 1,500 pounds, standing ten feet tall, and running more than 30 miles an hour. Long guard hairs on their backs and shoulders often have white tips, giving them a grizzled appearance and the nickname grizzly bear.
The sheer size of the grizzly and its low reproductive rate create more conservation challenges than are faced by smaller and faster-reproducing species such as the bald eagle or peregrine falcon. Once common throughout the mountains and the Great Plains, brown bears have been reduced to 2% of their historic range in the lower 48 states. The Yellowstone population of grizzly bears was declared recovered and removed from the threatened species list in April of 2007, although many conservationists are concerned that the delisting was premature. Learn more information about brown bears.
Your gift will help us provide the best possible care for our bears and for all of the animals at the Minnesota Zoo, while also continuing our conservation efforts both here at home and around the world.
Your $55 sponsorship includes:
- An adorable plush brown bear OR Honey Paw and Lightfoot by Jonathan London and illustrated by Jon Van Zyle. Readers will be entranced by the simple, poetic text and spectacular illustrations. Written for ages 4-8 but appreciated by all! (You will be sent the plush unless you indicate otherwise).
- An animal sponsorship certificate.
- A brown bear trading card with a photo and fun facts.
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference at the Minnesota Zoo!
Your $100 sponsorship also includes:
- Animal Homes by Judy Allen and Simon Mendez.
Your $250 sponsorship also includes:
- An invitation to meet with a Zookeeper (approximately 15 minutes, during normal Zoo hours).
If you have additional questions, please call 952.431.9216 or 1.800.366.7811 ext.216
Or email Shannon at Shannon.Rhatigan@mnzoo.org