African rainforests and the animals that live there are under threat. You can make a difference by recycling your out-of-use cell phone(s).
By donating your old cell phone(s), you:
- Keep hazardous substances, found inside cell phones and other electronics, out of the trash so they can’t damage our environment.
- Reduce demand for minerals found in cell phones that are sometimes mined illegally and destructively in African rainforests.
- Raise money to support conservation efforts in Africa. (read more).
What happens to the phones?
- MPC (read more) collects the cell phones and transports them to their ISO:9001 secure facility in Mendota Heights, MN.
- All data is erased (read more) and phones are then separated for testing.
- Working phones are refurbished for resale or donation to charity.
- Non-working phones are sent for refining where valuable metals are recovered for reuse in new product.
- Proceeds are sent to the Minnesota Zoo for support of conservation efforts in Africa (see above).
Before donating your phone(s):
- Make sure you terminate your service or switch your contract to a new phone.
- Clear any personal data from the phone by removing the SIM card or manually the information. On most cell phones, you can find “Reset Phone” under “Phone Settings.”
- Turn your phone off, if your phone’s battery is still charged.
How to donate:
- Drop off your phone at the Minnesota Zoo. Collection bins are located at each Zoo entrance and at the top of the ramp to the Tropics Trail. OR
- Drop your phone into the Recycle for Rainforests collection box at Valley Natural Foods in Burnsville. OR
- Mailing option 1: If you have fewer than 20 cell phones to donate, print out a label (click here) and mail your phone for free to MPC. The mailing label specifies that your donation should be credited to the Minnesota Zoo’s program. OR
- Mailing option 2, for bulk donations: If you have 20 or more cell phones to donate, click here to register your donation and MPC will send you a label to use, to ship your phones for free.
- Recycle for Rainforests is a great way for your group, school, organization, or company to make a difference for endangered species and their habitats. Organize a cell phone recycling campaign today! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details and assistance.
- We gladly accept bulk cell phone donations.
Teachers - Start Today
Start a cell phone recycling drive in your class or school! This is a great opportunity to introduce students to an authentic conservation project with tangible results. Participating schools will receive a book, posters, parent letter templates, educational resources and more! Email us with your address so we can send your free kit to get started today! Call 952-431-9568 with questions.